Thursday, August 28, 2008

Conversations with a Toddler


During breakfast this morning this was our conversation.

Allie: (holding out her sippy cup) "I want milk"..."more milk"
Jill: "You want more milk?"
A: "Yeah."
(Picks up spoon and takes another bite of fruit loops) "Mmmm, licious." (short for delicious)
J: "Is that delicious?"
A: "Yeah."
(Pointing to mommy) "Mommy"
(Pointing to daddy's empty chair) "Daddy"
J: "Where is Daddy?"
A: "Work."

I wasn't really expecting her to answer. I was expecting her to say "I dunno." Sometimes I don't give her credit for how much she understands.

The other day she said "Daddy, where are you?" I think that was her first time grouping 4 words together.

I love to listen to her conversations on the phone with her grandparents. Although I know they don't understand a word she is saying, she is actually telling them of events over the day because I'll catch a few words in between her jibber. It is so crazy how much kids can learn before they are 2.

2 comments:

Isaura said...

Jill!
i'm glad I found your blog. how fun that your little girl is growing so fast. hope you didn't get too overwhelmed last night!!
at least it was pretty entertaining, no?? :)

thepainterfamily said...

cute! love her "licious" comments! she is so proper! Hey, thanks for the fruit...you KNOW you didn't have to do that! you're such a thoughtful friend! THANKS!