Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Trip to Utah

It was so fun to go home to Utah and see my family. Unfortunately Kyle couldn't come but Allie and I still had fun while we were there. Here is Allie snuggling with Papa.

We went to Raging Waters while we were there. Look at those long legs!

Both of Allie's cousins came. (Brigham, Allie & Olivia)

She absolutely loved this slide. It was fun to see her climb to the top by herself and slide down.

I really wish I would have taken more pictures while we were there. Our trip was cut short by a very unexpected phone call by the paramedics telling me that they had Kyle in the back of the Ambulance. His friend had accidentally discharged his gun and the bullet went in and out his leg. His friend has so much experience with guns and while showing Kyle how to dissemble the gun it went off. I was a nervous wreck being so far away. We called my Bishop who found out which hospital he was in and reported back to us on any updates. He also sent our home teacher and Elder's Quorum President to give him a blessing. I also called my visiting teacher to pick us up from the airport the following morning. I can't tell you how much relief that brought me to have people in Houston who could be there with Kyle while I was so far away. Kyle's friend (who is also in our ward) stayed over night with him and changed his bandages until we could get there. Kyle's mom came out to help us and just left this morning. It was nice to be able to have her watch Allie while we changed his bandages. The wound is so gross but we feel very blessed the bullet missed the bone and arteries. He has healed a lot since Friday night and we are expecting he'll be able to go to work tomorrow using his crutches. I have a testimony of the organization of the Church. What a blessing it is to have people who can look out for you and ease your burdens. I just want to say thank you to my family, friends & ward for their love and concern.

16 comments:

revells said...

We are so glad that every one was there for you. How blessed you are that you had so many people there to support you and show you love.

mckenna said...

WOW!! What an adventure! It's so great that you had so much support and care in such a crazy moment in your lives!! Glad things went well....as well as they can for your husband being shot, I mean. :) Hope Kyle is feeling better and you are all doing okay!!

thepainterfamily said...

We love you too! :) What a crazy few days huh!? And honestly, nothing like a tropical storm to round out the experience right? :) Glad you are back (but so sorry your trip home was cut short!) and so happy that Kyle is feeling better and healing well!

Lauren H. said...

Wow Jill, I can't even imagine your thoughts and emotions being so far away when this happened. I truly have developed the same feeling of gratitude for the church as we have moved away from family. Nothing like this has happened to us, but just knowing that we will always be taken care of by our ward family is comforting. Glad to hear Kyle is recovering quickly-- we will keep him in our prayers. Miss you guys!!

amy said...

Oh my goodness! I had to read that a couple of times to make sure I was reading it right. So sorry to hear about Kyle and glad to know he is already healing. I am glad you had a great trip with your family!

Jason & Kelli West said...

Jill, I am glad you had such a fun time in Utah, but I am so sorry to hear about Kyle! I'm glad he is doing ok and that the wound is healing well. I hope all keeps getting better!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh...I'm so sorry. I was wondering why you never called me but I guess I'll let you off the hook with that one. Tell Kyle to get feeling better and we feel so bad for him. Take care you guys.

The Stokers said...

Ahh! That is really scary! I can't imagine how it would feel to get that phone call! I hope Kyle is doing OK. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers! P.S. those pics of Allie are adorable!

Shannon said...

Holy Cow! We are so glad that everything is alright. That's awesome that your ward was able to help out so much. Hope the recovery goes well. We'll keep ya'll in our prayers!

jax said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I can hardly imagine how you felt. We are so glad that so far you guys are doing well. Let us know how the recovery goes.

Unknown said...

So scary... I'm glad he's healing well. We miss you guys, but are glad you have new friends to love you in Houston!!!

Amy Jo said...

How scary! I am so glad that he is healing just fine and that it was not worse! Isn't the church wonderful?! When people are there and fulfilling their responsibilities there is always someone you can count on!

Chloe and Tyler said...

Wow, I feel the same way. It's amazing that wherever you go the church will always be there. Hope you guys are doing well.

Brandon and Natalie said...

How scary! I am glad he is healing well. Thank goodness for people who you can count on in a time of difficulty.

Mindy Jo said...

I'm so sorry your trip to Utah was cut short! I know how excited you were to see your family! We've been thinking about you and Kyle. Eric tried calling yesterday I think. I hope everythings okay and improving! We love you dearly! Give Kyle our love and hugs! :)

Lyndsy Tippetts said...

I am so glad Kyle is going to be okay and that your ward pulled through for you!